Happy Fun Time

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Sofia Coppola

Lost in Translation has joined the ranks of Office Space in my movie mind. These are the only two movies that get better for me everytime I watch them. Now, I haven't tried to watch either of them several times in one day, but I do watch them every now and then and each time, better than before. This is rare for me, usually I get bored after the first few times. Even with my favorite movie, Bringing Up Baby.

I first saw Lost in Translation in the theaters and I thought it was alright, nicely done. But then after coming to China and watching my bootleg copy of it once every couple of weeks, I have fallen in love with the movie. Mainly because the feelings of isolation in the middle of everything resonate with me much more after my time in China.

Then I read this, which lead me to this. Am I really beating you to this, Tony? I've also grown to love New Order while in China because it really is what the article states it is, the music that is. And after seeing the trailer, I have high hopes for Sofia Coppola. She's been maligned or held to a higher standard because of her family ties, even her success with Lost in Translation seemed to be asterisked because of that. But the way she's pulled this trailer alone off makes me think this is the start of a beautiful career that is ready to emerge from her family history's shadows. Hopefully, this won't be just another bio/costume/epic/pic but actually have some of the brooding qualities that makes the director original these days. The trailer gives me hope.

3 Comments:

  • That's interesting. I haven't seen Lost in Translation yet, but I know a few people that experienced the opposite. They liked it a lot, but the more they watched it, the more they disliked it.

    By Blogger Ron, at 5/06/2006 2:32 PM  

  • New Order did an okay job at Coachella. Better than Depeche Mode (depeche mode sucked).

    Their new album is a very very hard listen, it's so different than their old stuff. I think it's because their singles (Bizarre Love Triangle especially) are so much better than most of their songs (most, not all).

    2000's New Order < 1990's New Order < 1980's New Order < Joy Division

    By Blogger Tony, at 5/08/2006 12:09 AM  

  • I would reverse the last two. 1980s>Joy Divison. Joy Division was tops, but...just not enough out there by them. I'm sure if Curtis hadn't killed himself, Joy Division would've gone to even bigger and even greater things, which is what New Order ended up doing. Pretty much my argument is New Order's great stuff can't be matched by Joy Division's great stuff only because there's just so much more of it. We'll never know what path Joy Division would've taken, but it's not tough to assume it would've been very similar to what New Order became.

    By Blogger napehtrap, at 5/09/2006 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home