Happy Fun Time

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Why do Sri Lankans love cake?

Every now and then, I get a little depressed and feel driven to write something that's both depressing and insightful. I just squash that feeling. I find that whenever I write about something that depresses me, it usually sucks. I mean, it really sucks. The writing is horrible and the topic is trivial. That is not what this little piece is about. Instead, I'm going to write about New Year's.

In a sentence? This past New Year's was great. It wasn't "OMGWTFBBQ, I'M SO DRUNK!!111 LOLZZZZZZZ"-great. It was "we're all grown-ups now and we know when to stop drinking so that we're all drunk, but not puking"-great. There was drinking. Oh yes, there was most definitely drinking. There was a good mixture of people. In fact, I'd have to say that the male to female ratio was not all that bad. Then again, I was also too busy trying to take care of the inexperienced drunkards (y'know, making sure everybody's got water) to really notice. There was also food. Many props to Nick for making and/or ordering the delicious food. Even though I was the DD, that night was probably the most successful New Year's Party that I have ever had the pleasure to attend (not to say that previous ones sucked. Just that this one rocked on many levels).

The party was everything that I like in a party: a good mix of new and old friends that I can mingle and talk with, no loud techno music playing in the back ground and, most importantly, plentiful booze. Of course, some friends were not there to have a good time with us and, as the title of the article suggests, the most missed right now is a certain Sri Lankan that's stuck in Red China. I don't mean that the others that were not there are not missed. I only mean that the reason why we miss Kumar so much is that he's been working a job that treats him poorly in an unfamiliar repressive foreign country. We also haven't seen the guy in months. We won't see him until sometime in July. That's why some of us wish he went to the party. Everytime we were about to do something, it would usually start with "remember that year when Kumar smeared the cake all over Tony's apartment door?"

Ah yes, that year was also very good. I was also a DD that night. The night started with the usual "party at Nick's." It eventually lead to "let's crash Vick's." When we actually got to Vick's Party, the majority of us were already drunk. Our group showed up and vanished within the space of about 15 minutes. Of course, we did not leave until some of the more drunk had more to drink. In any case, that night ended with some of us going to Tony's apartment. I forgot to mention that we also had a huge ass cake from Costco (this is actually very important). When we had arrived at the apartment, Tammy told me that she needed to get something from her apartment and asked if I could walk with her. Of course, I obliged thinking that David and the rest would be able to manage themselves. I was very wrong. When we came back to Tony's apartment, we found that Kumar had decided to attack the door with the cake. There was a huge smear of whip cream and cake bits swathed across the door. To this day, I am still not sure what possessed Kumar to suddenly attack the door with the cake. He tells me that he tried (successfully) to get Chris with it. Personally, I think Chris just had the misfortune to be between the cake and the door.

And that, as they say, is why Sri Lankans love cake.

Come home safely, Kumar.

SK.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home