Happy Fun Time

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year

Let me be the first to wish everyone on the late side of the world a Happy New Year. For me, it was sixteen hours ago. And...nothing's different. I spent the midnight hour laying on my bed watching Manchester United beat Bolton Wanderers, pondering whether I should go have a cigarette or a rum and Coke. I had neither. And then today I watched Lost in Translation. Does it get any more depressing?

Here are my wishes for 2006:

In the world of sports...
Duke becomes the first #1 seed in NCAA Tourney history to get knocked out in the first round.
Chelsea win the Premier League, Lyon win Ligue 1, and both meet in the Champions League final.
Leeds go back up to the Prem.
Lakers make the playoffs and make a '99 Knicks-like run to the finals.
Freeway Series in October (Blue in 7).

In the world of politics...
Idiots stop seeing France as a beautiful culture and see the French for the bigots they are.
Idiots stop seeing China as a rising power and see the Chinese government for the oppressors they are.
Idiots realize that Bush is one of them.
Better human rights and decency around the world. Period.
Democrats make a strong stand on their issues and make gains in 2006 as the Republicans' issues persist.

In the world of me...
I go to graduate school. Not get in. That's been done. I actually go.
I write stuff I'm proud of and enjoy.
I get a better handle on one of my foreign languages.
I expand my nascent culinary skills.
The many pounds I've lost here in Red China stay off when I return to the States.

In the world of my friends...
Everyone remains healthy and happy.
And Bach gets laid....By a laaadyyy...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home