Happy Fun Time

Thursday, January 12, 2006

My Life in 3 Envelopes

For those who don't know, I've been applying to graduate schools to get a masters in education and a teaching credential. I sent the last 2 applications to UCLA and UCI today. The monkey is finally off my back. In the past month or so, I've been stressing over graduate school applications. I've only applied to one other school: Stanford. Three schools is an insignificant number compared to the number of law schools that Robert applied for, which is around 30, I think.

It's weird going through all this application stuff again. Just like in high school, getting accepted into college meant you knew you were heading in the right path. It was a sense of reassurance from society. Once you got accepted, you had an imaginary voice in your head that said, "Don't worry. Your future is temporarily secured." But before you got your acceptance letters, you had that fear that if you didn't get into college, you were doomed to a path of minimum wage labor. I know not everybody went through this experience in their senior year of high school, but I know it's something that all the advanced placement students went through.

Stanford will send out acceptance letters in March, while UCLA and UCI will send their letters in April. In the mean time, I'm living through that same fear I had when I turned in apps in high school. If I don't get in, I'm doomed to a path of low-middle class wages. Well, that doesn't sound too bad. But I've been wanting to be a teacher for a long time. Plus, I really want to get on with my life. It's a lot like wanting a driver's license. I feel so immobile. I need to move.

I know Robert is going through the same thing. He's stuck in the limbo world of his dad's insurance company dealing with shitty, idiot customers while waiting for a law school to finally accept him. Well, he did get accepted to a tier 3 law school in Akron, Ohio. I believe Akron's chief export is plastic tape. I made that up.

Likewise, I'm certain UCI will accept me, at the least. Chances of getting into UCLA is OK, but I'm not too excited about LA. I'm even pondering the idea of staying with UCI even I get into UCLA. Stanford is my 1st choice, but of course, the odds of accceptance is small. If somehow I do get accepted, I will celebrate like a fool. But I would be totally satisfied with UCI even if it means I have to continue living at home. I like the faculty and atmosphere at UCI's Department of Education.

Oh yeah, did I mention that the majority student population of all these education departments are women? The ratio of female students to male students is roughly 4:1. God, I hope I get into school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home