Happy Fun Time

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Bravo, Stephen Colbert. Bravo.

Yes, I know this is a double post about Stephen Colbert's amazing performance. I wrote this not knowing about Ron's earlier post. I'm leaving it here because...well...it's my thoughts.

On Saturday, comedian/actor/writer Stephen Colbert was invited to speak at the annual White House Correspondents' Association Dinner. In past years, comedians who were invited, like Jay Leno, would do safe, lighthearted jokes that didn't rankle anybody's nerves. Colbert, on the other hand, has balls. Using his "Colbert Report" persona as a hardcore conservative TV pundit, he ripped into Bush like no other and he did it right in front of the man. Even as the crowd reaction and Bush's face went from decent to dead serious, Stephen kept pushing the envelope: "He [Bush] just doesn't stand for things, he stands on things. Things like aircraft carriers and rubble and recently flooded city squares." I was laughing my ass off. Unfortunately, he bombed with that audience. I think Stephen knew he would never ever get another opportunity to speak the truth in front of our nation's president.

Some would say it was inappropriate for him to be so harsh and blunt in that occasion, but I think Stephen said "Fuck tradition and etiquette. Somebody has to say something meaningful." I applaud Stephen. Bravo, my man. Bravo.

You Tube: Colbert Roast Part 1
You Tube: Colbert Roast Part 2

You Tube: Colbert Roast Part 3

8 Comments:

  • Would this be plagiarism or influence?

    By Blogger Ron, at 4/30/2006 8:26 PM  

  • Zing.

    By Blogger Ron, at 4/30/2006 8:26 PM  

  • Either way, it's not wrong.

    By Blogger David, at 4/30/2006 8:43 PM  

  • You know, posting was my idea. I invented blogs. Yea, that's right. You should thank me.

    By Blogger Robert, at 4/30/2006 8:45 PM  

  • I was raised Christian.
    It's where I'm coming from.
    It's my standards.
    I'm placing my opinion based on what I learned,
    that sin of any kind is stupid.
    I guess you can say, I was influenced by the Bible on sin. The Commandments, according to the Bible, circa 2 B.C.:

    1. I AM THE LORD THY GOD, THOU SHALT NOT HAVE strange gods BEFORE ME.

    2. THOU SHALT NOT TAKE THE NAME OF THE LORD THY GOD IN VAIN.

    3. REMEMBER THOU KEEP HOLY THE SABBATH DAY.

    4. HONOR THY FATHER AND THY MOTHER.

    And so on.

    Haha, that was purely in jest.

    By Blogger Ron, at 4/30/2006 9:11 PM  

  • You know...I wrote the Bible.

    By Blogger David, at 4/30/2006 9:19 PM  

  • Regarding media radio silence.

    Some of the comments there are lame, mainly from people who think it wasn't that funny, but I don't think that was Colbert's main aim. His main aim was a tactical nuclear strike. But the google search turned up some interesting articles.

    I still find myself, even just now when I woke up, saying "Oh my god" when I read anything about Colbert and the dinner. The Hindenburg. Oh my god. Hahahaha. He's going to die in a mysterious plane crash. We all know it.

    By Blogger Ron, at 5/01/2006 11:02 AM  

  • This comment particularly resonated with me.

    By Blogger Ron, at 5/01/2006 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home