Happy Fun Time

Monday, March 20, 2006

Japan wins World Baseball Classic

Japan just beat Cuba 10-6 in the WBC. I found it funny that the vast majority of ESPN commentators picked Venezuela, Dominican Republic, or USA to win. Only 1, Peter Gammons, picked the actual winner.

I was watching Rome is Burning the other day (Jim Rome sports commentary show on ESPN) and he was chastising the WBC and the US, when the US barely made it into the 2nd round.

His words: "I don't want to see a World Baseball Classic that the United States can't get past the second round. The WBC is a failure if the US can't get past the second round, and I don't want to be embarrassed on the world stage."

Now that's just selfish. Why even have a competition?

There's an underdog rooting in all of us, and I liked seeing the multimillionaire United States team field good competition. Not that I'm unpatriotic, but sometimes I like nothing more than seeing cocky people bite their words.

That's why I hate the Yankees.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home