Happy Fun Time

Friday, March 31, 2006

Nacho Libre

Apple - Trailers - Nacho Libre

Jack Black is starring in a feature about a Mexican wrestler named "Nacho." As a fan of Jack Black and his band, Tenacious D, I was anticipating a funny, side-splitting trailer. It looked promising at first and then it downhill. Once I saw "From the director of Napolean Dynamite," I gave out a disappointing "ugh..." Yes, it's bias and one could argue that you can't compare a Jack Black movie about a Mexican wrestler to a movie about...well, I don't know what Napolean Dynamite was about.

Despite the trailer saying, "And [from] the writer of School of Rock," 2 of the 3 writers were the Hess siblings that wrote Napolean, according to IMDB.com. Even though there's Black's usual style of comedy in some scenes, the trailer reveals many Napolean-like similarities, tendencies, and quirks. It has Black in weird, 80s style clothing much like Uncle Rico. Black's partner in crime is an awkward looking Mexican teenager who might as well be called Pedro. And there's the infamous awkward dialogue that I guess people think is funny. Black: "I was wondering if you would like to join me in my quarters this night...for some toast." Then jump to scene to Black and a nun eating toast. Funny? Not really.

2 Comments:

  • I haven't seen NDynamite, so there's no bias from there. The Nacho Libre trailer simply made the movie look base and stupid (and I saw it before you mentioned it, so no bias there either). I think it's safe to say that the trailer (and possibly therefore the movie) is shitty.

    By Blogger Ron, at 3/31/2006 5:32 PM  

  • Brilliant, huh? Few films are ever brilliant. I'll have to check it out.

    By Blogger Ron, at 4/05/2006 1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home