Happy Fun Time

Monday, January 30, 2006

Chinese people eat dogs.

I am currently taking a lower division sociology class called "Immigrants in America." Why am I taking this class- blame it on the major, and the fact that it fits my schedule. I am not proud of taking this class. Shoot me- some of the comments that were made in class were unbearable.

Well, I was pondering about how Alito's judicial nomination could potentially hinder personal freedoms and how he could tilt the direction of the court to provide more power to the executive branch- more power for Bush is bad(typical thing for Political Science majors to do ).
I was engaged in a somewhat intelligent activity in order to avoid listening to the discussions in class that could potentially bring down my IQ. However, I took a break from my reading when my teacher asked the class : "Give me an example of a racial stereotype that we embrace in america. Negative or positive"-

The teacher was asking students in a LOWER DIVISION SOCIOLOGY class to provide examples of negative racial stereotypes? I was suprised, amused, and exited that the teacher would ask a question that would involve students providing examples of negative stereotypes. First of all, this is a LOWER DIVISION SOCIOLOGY class and incoherent and ignorant generalizations in regards to ethnicity and race will be made, and most comments are expected to be borderline offensive.

I recorded some of the comments that were blurted out.
The comments that the students blurted out in class: (these sentances were typed word for word, nothing was manipulated or changed.)

(1)
Student: "Lucy Liu, in Charlie Angels plays an asian girl that is excellent in martial arts. She is being portrayed as a negative asain stereotype"
Teacher: But all of the characters knew martial arts

(2)
Student: People like to do yoga in the United States, Yoga is a trend that was started by the Chinese.
Teacher: Yoga originated from India.

(3)
Student: The boho look is definitely over-rated.
Teacher: Huh?
Student: you know...the look with the long skirt
rts?
Teacher: (looks confused)- Oh, yes.

(4)
Student: Immigrants are trying to be more american and throwing away their culture by...well...for example, eating more American food, like pizza and stuff.

(5)
Student: Yeah, now a days, people are doing henna even though they arent Indian.
Teacher: In otherwords, it is a travesty that individuals here in America use different aspects in different culture as an accessory.
Student: Yeah. Thats what i meant.


I believe that all of these comments that were made in class had the potential of being intuitive and insightful if only they were worded better.

1 Comments:

  • i have just a few words for you. Liberlaism is a mental disorder. Ponder that for a while, if it doesn't hurt too much. Because if you THOUGHT about things, instead of FEELING through things, you can only determine that liberalism is destroying this country. But like I said, you have to actually THINK to come to that.

    I do agree, what your classmates said was pretty hilarious though. I'm very scared for the future of our country.

    By Blogger Big D, at 1/30/2006 8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home