Happy Fun Time

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Christmas vs. Holiday: Who Cares?

I read an article today saying that House Speaker Rep. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) is complaining about the Capitol Holiday Tree. Apparently, he wants the tree to be called a Christmas tree instead.

This reminds me of a personal incident of a similar nature. When I use to work at a local shopping mall, I once had a customer who complained that the annual Christmas party at his work was changed to a "Holiday" party. He said, "I'm calling it a Christmas party!"

Here's my question: why the fuck does it matter?

It seems like people like these (i.e. fundamentalist Christians) think tolerating and respecting other people's religions is an insult to their own. How does including Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, and other religions to a party or a symbol of the winter holidays an insult to your beliefs? It's not an insult!

I can only conclude that fundamentalist Christians are selfish un-Christian like people who think what they are doing will get them into heaven. It's all for their own selfish agenda to get into heaven. "Hey, God. I tried to protect a tree from being called a holiday tree. Can I get into heaven now?"

On a final note, Damon reminded me that the tree as a holiday symbol originated from pagans.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home